- The promotion—in the broadest sense of the word—of business on the island of St. Maarten, and specifically of the business interests of the members of the association.
- To promote the goodwill of the tourism industry, both locally as well as internationally.
- To promote cooperation between the Dutch and French side of the island on trade and tourism-related matters.
- To create awareness for, promote, participate in, organize, render, advise on, conduct and/or fund education and training, for St. Maarten businesses.
- To assist with strategic planning, sustainable development, and quality enhancement of St. Maarten’s tourism product.
- To represent the collective SHTA membership towards local, national, regional and international bodies, authorities, and institutions.